Site Safety & Health Officer (Safety Manager)
Walga MTE is seeking a dynamic, proactive, and self-starting Site Safety & Health Officer (Safety Manager) to join our team at Fort Bliss and the El Paso, TX area. This position is responsible for daily project quality control, including review of all work items and material submittals. The position’s primary focus is to perform inspections of completed and ongoing work, as well as coordinate with the customer’s quality assurance representative to ensure all project requirements are met. The position will also be responsible for implementing the quality requirements contained in the contract documents and overseeing safety practices of on-site personnel and visitors. The Site Safety & Health Officer will report to the Director of Contract Operations.
- Assist in controlling hazardous working conditions and unsafe employee activities.
- Supervise and coordinate project emergency action procedures, including work assignments, personnel administration, staffing, and training for emergency contingency plans.
- Develop and administer job site safety and environmental training.
- Complete daily project safety audits, as well as property damage and personal injury investigations.
- Provide oversight to ensure that the project site conforms to all applicable safety regulations.
- Document all accidents, safety violations, and unsafe conditions.
- Provide problem resolution for sites that are in violation of safety standards.
- Support OSHA compliance officers, corporate safety officers, and insurance inspectors during on-site audits.
- Monitor contractor compliance with OSHA and company safety requirements.
- Maintain all safety documents for the project site.
- Facilitate necessary safety meetings. Submit unplanned event forms to Human Resources if a work-related injury occurs
- Assist in preparing written appeals for safety violation citations.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor's direction.
- Manage staff through ensuring appropriate staffing, provide formal and informal evaluations/feedback, addressing employee issues when warranted and providing appropriate training and mentoring.
- Identify problems, gather, and analyze information, and consult with associated staff to make projects successful.
- Meet established goals, while ensuring quality of work through accuracy and thoroughness.
- Flexible, well organized, and detail oriented, using efficient time management skills to meeting project deadlines and schedules.
- Make timely decisions using sound and accurate judgment while keeping appropriate people informed in the decision process.
- Work to increase job knowledge, exhibiting the ability to learn and apply new skills.
- Coordinate with project management to ensure all close-out documents are complete and submitted.
- 5+ years of proven experience in safety management on construction job sites. Bachelors degree in Safety Management, Occupational Safety and Health, or a related field is a plus.
- Current OSHA 30 and USACE EM 385-1-1 certifications.
- Have a proven successful project history of maintaining quality and safety, you excel at managing rapidly changing priorities to accomplish project goals.
- Effectively manage field staff by appropriately staffing projects, providing formal and informal evaluations/feedback, addressing employee issues, and providing appropriate training and mentoring
- Use strong verbal and written communication skills to interact with all levels of employees, company management, and outside partners such as owners, architects, engineers, subcontractors, and suppliers
- Having a working knowledge of computers, Microsoft Office, and the internet
- Are willing and able to travel to project sites or work out of town, typically located throughout the South and Midwest
- Don’t mind flexible work hours, with an average of 50 hours per week or as needed.
- Has a working knowledge of computers and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and project management software
- Can work outdoors in extreme conditions such as cold, heat, and humidity on a regular, daily basis
- Able to stand, climb, bend, and stoop on a regular, daily basis
- Maintain a valid driver’s license and operate a personal vehicle
- Use of visual and auditory skills
About Walga MTE
Walga MTE provides high quality construction and EPA services to Federal, state, and local governments. Walga MTE is owned by the Modoc Nation of Miami, Oklahoma, a federally recognized Native American Tribe, and is a registered SBA Small Disadvantaged Business and certified 8(a) company.
At Walga MTE, we know employee well-being is important. That’s why we’re committed to making resources available to you that will enable you to become happier, healthier, and more productive in all areas of your life. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package including:
- Generous PTO Package
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Health Benefits Effective Immediately
- 401K and Immediate Company Matching
- Education Assistance
- Paid Parental Leave
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; creed; color; religion; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic predisposition or carrier status; veteran, marital, or citizenship status; or any other status protected by law. We are proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.